The majestic castle is perched on the slopes of a rocky promontory, the so-called "Lay". The origins of the castle are lost in the mists of time.
From 1927 to 1930 the castle became private property. In the last throes of the second World War, during the Battle of the Bulge, the castle was badly damaged. Subsequently the Luxembourg State acquired the burnt out ruins and undertook a magnificent restauration.
The Family of Man
A venerable witness to a prestigious past, Clervaux castle now houses the offices of local government, the local tourist office, a marvellous collection of models of Luxembourg's fortified castles, the Museum of the Battle of the Bulge exhibiting weapons and souvenirs from the 1944-1945 Ardennes offensive (Battle of the Bulge), and a most remarkable collection of documentary art photography, the "Family of Man" by Edward Steichen, consisting of 503 pictures by 273 photographers from 68 countries in an impressive setting of 37 themes, based on love and faith in man, depicting birth, work, family, education, children, war and peace, ...
Mo: 8.00 - 11.30, Tu - Fr: 8.00 - 11.30 et 14.00 - 16.30, We: 14.00 - 19.00
6, Montée du Château