The Kulturfabrik was established in an abandoned public abattoir originally built in 1885-86 and closed down in 1979. New hosts quickly took over, particularly young actors of the non-profit “Theater GmbH”. These squatters turned the warehouse into a space to rehearse and perform before sharing the stage with musicians and organising more and more concerts (1984).
Events across all art forms followed and twelve years later, in 1996, KuFA officially became a cultural center with the help of public financial support. Its new status was celebrated in 1998 with a fully renovated building. Its history demonstrates that free, emancipated art chose KuFA, not the other way around. This philosophy defines KuFa to this day.
Kulturfabrik is a non-profit association supported by Luxembourg Ministry of Culture and the City of Esch-sur-Alzette.
116, Rue de Luxembourg